What type of Shea products are available in the market?
Is it just cosmetically good or is it medically good as well?
Shea butter is extracted from the nut of African Shea tree, widely used in cosmetics as a salve, moisturizer and lotion. It is considered as a super-food for hair and skin because it provides essential nutrients and vitamins to it.
How is it obtained?
The extraction process includes the following processes:
- Separating– outer pulp is removed and the nut is dried
- Crushing– the nuts are then crushed
- Roasting– the crushed paste is then roasted in huge pots over open wood fires
- Grinding– nuts are ground into a smoother paste and water is added to mix the paste well
- Separating– The paste is kneaded with hands and water is added to separate the butter oils
- Collecting– Butter oils are ladled up from the top of the pots and cooled
Types of Products
The following is a list of brands and Shea butter products which can be used on a daily basis to improve the quality and texture of the skin and hair:
- Jergens Deep Conditioning Moisturizer
It contains Shea butter, Cocoa butter and Mango butter which heals & protects extremely dry skin as they claim it on the label- “penetrates skin to hydrate you to heaven”. It provides moisture and also enhance the performance of skin’s moisture barrier.
- Ambi Black Soap
It is a Raw Shea Butter Soap used to moisturize and cleanse surface impurities with aloe vera, Shea butter and vitamin E.
- Bath by Bettijo Organic
It is a Shea butter product with 50% organic Shea butter whipped with jojoba, vitamin E, organic aloe leaf juice and essential oils. It is available in many scents like Lemon Almond, Unscented & Lavender Cedar-wood and Vanilla Mandarin scents.
- Minus 417 Aromatic Body Butter
It contains Shea butter with avocado oil, sweet almond oil, mango extract blend to nourish and protect the skin. It can also be used after aromatic body peeling products to further benefit the skin. It exfoliates dry skin cells.
- SheaMoisture Lavender& Wild Orchid Body Lotion
The body lotion contains 30% organic Shea butter, olive oil, cocoa butter and coconut oil. Lavender essential oil gives the lotion its mild scent. There are no gluten, parabens, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, sulfates, phthalates and mineral oil.
- Crabtree & Evelyn Hand Therapy Shea Butter Hand Cream
It has a blend of Shea butter, macadamia nut oil and myrrh extract to condition and nourish hands & nails. The ingredients include vitamin E, C and tocotrienol and ceramides that improve the skin barrier function & hyaluronic acid. It even comes in Olive & Basil, Pomegranate, Argan & Grapeseed & Citron and Honey &Coriander.
- Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shea Butter Wash
It is made from tar, plantain peel, tamarind extract and palm ash to treat eczema , psoriasis, acne, oily skin and many other skin problems. It contains vitamin E, oats and aloe Vera which balances acne prone and troubled skin.
Shea Butter Benefits and Uses
It is a natural skin care product which improves and enhances the beauty (health) of the skin. There are multiple reasons due to which Shea Butter is used and preferred over toxic chemical cosmetics, such as:
- Anti-inflammatory Properties
- Antioxidant properties which helps in cleansing the body
- Protects the hair and the skin from the harmful UV rays
- Repairs and improves damaged skin
- As a base for homemade deodorant
- Protects damaged hair by being a natural cuticle cream
- It prevents the skin from aging; protecting it from the harmful polluted environment and enabling people to feel younger
- In baby care and lip care as traditionally also, it was used for babies by African mothers.
- Pre-makeup cream
- Restores skin elasticity
- Hair protection, hair softener and in many other Shea butter hair products
- Moisturizes the skin naturally
- On raw/sore noses during a cold or flu
- As a natural cosmetic medium as it allows individuals to use natural care and not toxic-cosmetics products
- Replenishes the skin after sun or beach exposure; rejuvenating the skin cells
- It even soothes dry and irritated scalp by removing itching and dryness reasons from the scalp, if applied regularly
Shea Butter is Better Than Your Cosmetics
It is always seen that natural Skin Care Products are better than toxic cosmetics because of their harmful effects like severe diseases and skin conditions. It also improves the quality of the skin while the latter degrades it with time.
Shea butter is one of the most famous natural skincare and hair care product, widely used all over the world because of the above mentioned benefits and uses.